Wednesday, July 21, 2010

LCF BA Graduate Showcase: Makoto Taguchi

The footwear design craft of Makoto Taguchi

Over the last few months we have been treated to an array of graduate design talent from this years crop. I have shared my highlights throughout and there is more than enough time to showcase another. At the beginning of the month I shared the talents of Minako Tsuda whose playful leather schoolboy rucksacks and gentlemanly document holders harked back to a different, altogether more romantic sartorial era. Tsuda was of the LCF BA Footwear, Accessories and Clothing students graduates on show at the pop up gallery space on Carnaby Street that left me inspired. Makoto Taguchi was the other and I can now excitedly share images from his intriguing footwear collection. I was taken by this Cordwainers Footwear graduate's talent at combining various shoe making techniques, from traditional hand sewn methods to modern glued shoes, with the introduction of his own, fresh ideas. Taguchi's design philosophy is simplicity after complicated process. The best way for me to demonstrate this to you is to show you his collection in some detail...

I'll begin with my own personal favourite. Taguchi's Derby, removable boot.

A closer look at the Derby boot from all angles.

Transforming the boot in to a shoe with the help of beautiful leather lace work.

I love the sense of well crafted quality that exude from this pair.

Taguchi's second design. Classic plus whole cut.

Once again the boot transforms...

I love the combination of the contrasting leather and wood sole.

Ornament, Structure, Button. This boot seemingly has it all.

A close up at a few of the key details.

Ornament, Structure, Ski hook. This is certainly Taguchi's most adventurous design but once again there is a real balance.

A closer look, ski hook and all.

The last design is simply titled, Cut.
A look at a few of the processes involved.

A closer look at the shoe's profile.

Makoto Taguchi's graduate collection displays an array of techniques, traditional and otherwise. The graduate ultimately showcases a real and exciting passion for shoe making. Each design is close to bursting point with meaningful details but nothing feels superfluous. There is a real balance between them. The diverse details combine to create shoes to covet. The real surprising element for me is that each shoe exudes a well crafted quality that is most rare to find in a graduate collection. I for one am excited to see what Taguchi does next but one thing is for sure, my feet will no doubt be treated to a pair one day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment