Monday, June 8, 2009

GFW Catch Up: Fringe Festival

Alas I could not be with Susie in her perspex box today so missed out on the shows firsthand but I've been reading her coverage along with that of Fashion156 and I must say that I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of good menswear on show. Leading the pack was Jason Mui from Nottingham Trent who experimented with exaggerated, structured looks which were covered in fringing and hair.

The mix of fabrics (the fringe and furry shoulders was combined with wool, suede and just look at the spikes on the footwear) all combined to create a depth of texture previously unseen in any of the other menswear collections I've seen thus far. Of course these looks won't be to everyone's taste but for me, this is one of the strongest graduate collections I've seen all week because it explores a concept fully and most successfully, pushing the boundaries in the process. This is certainly a designer to keep an eye on for the future.

The collection made me think of a recent post on Jak&Jill which caused a bit of a negative stir (granted this was mainly because of the look of the chap as opposed to his furry shoulders). We've seen fringe and furry shoulders stake their claim on the womenswear runway in recent seasons and subsequently paraded by the fashion crowd as captured by various street style blogs and I for one welcome the cross over in to menswear.

No comments:

Post a Comment