Thursday, January 6, 2011

Finding W/A


I have felt decidedly delicate and fragile during the early stages of 2011. My head is weary, my body achey and I know I'm not the only one. Whether I'm at the office, on the bus or in the supermarket, the bodies around me resemble zombies. It is moments like these that we look to comforting clothing. Ever since my post on the comfort of grey jersey I have been searching for more examples of comforting clothing. Then I remembered the discovery of W/A inside the ever inspiring Hong Kong store, Kapok.

Created in collaboration with the multi label Singapore store Front Row earlier this year, W/A debuts for SS11. The new line was borne out of Jonathan Seow’s (designer of Woods & Woods) profound interest in re-examining basic-garment-types, examining whether there was a deeper essence in casual clothing. The debut offering, Bop my words draws references from the late counterculture American literary movement of the 40s and 50s and celebrates the free spirited attitude of the characters involved. It specifically looks to the collected biographies showcased in the short film, Pull My Daisy. The resulting collection plays with the duality of conservatism and eccentricity. Function and utility is key. Pieces have been designed for causal pairing and easy care that works so well with natural fabrics, such as cotton, linen and jacquard knits. Below are just a few of the items that caught my eye...

The label is currently only available at Front Row and Kapok.

W/A is a label that aims to find the most appropriate fit, cut and finishing techniques on many of the garments that we all take for granted. As a result, the label is not a work of conceptual motivation, but rather focuses on themes that allow for the development of garments and utilitarian products. Perfect for my somewhat delicate, current state.

No comments:

Post a Comment